TO ALL THE CHILDREN WHO SURVIVED the1930’s 40’s, 50’s, 60’s and 70’s !!
- First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.
- They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing and didn’t get tested for diabetes.
- Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.
- We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
- As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
- We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
- We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
- We ate cream cakes, bread and butter and drank fizzy drinks with sugar in it, but we weren’t overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!
- We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
- No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.
- We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
- We did not have Playstations, Nintendo’s, X-boxes, no video games at all, no Adult channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cellphones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms……….WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
- We fell out of trees, cut ourselves, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.
- We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live in us forever.
- We rode bikes or walked to a friend’s house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!
- School football and rugby teams had trials and not everyone made the team. Those who didn’t had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!
- The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!
This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!
AND YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!
You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as children, before the lawyers, lentil eaters with seaweed sweaters, woolly leg warmer brigade and this poxy, ‘nanny state’ government of ours.. deem to regulate our lives for our own good!