My copy of Mozilla’s Firefox (22.214.171.124) has been running very slow and often takes longer than Outlook to open!!!
Following some recommendations on the Google Operating System Blog I have modified my Firefox config using these details:
Type about:config in the address bar.
* create a new boolean entry config.trim_on_minimize and set it to true
* set browser.cache.memory.capacity to a fixed size (the default values are: for 256 MB RAM – 14336, 512 MB RAM – 22528, 1 GB RAM – 32768). A good value to try is 16384.
* set browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers to 0
* change image.animation_mode to none
Go to Tools/Options.
* set the disk cache memory to a low value (less than 50 MB)
* turn off Java
* try to avoid these extensions: Adblock, Fasterfox, IE Tab, Session Saver. Use Adblock Plus instead of Adblock.
* don’t use more than 5 extensions
(More details here: Reduce Memory Using in Firefox)
There looks to be a lot of useful info on this blog – something I’ll definitely have to keep updated with!
(Might also try Firefox 3 Alpha as recommended there).